Archive for October 2011
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN SELECTING A MAGENTO DEVELOPER
A Magento developer could be defined as a professional who provides E-Commerce solutions on the Magento platform. Magento is one of the most preferred E-Commerce platforms due to its adaptability and flexibility, allowing design of customized Magento shopping carts suiting a varied range of businesses. While selecting a Magento developer service for your E-Commerce website, the primary aspects to be considered are:
- Whether the developer has an established and organized operational set-up
- Experience of the developer in working on Magento E-Commerce projects
- Qualification, experience, creativity and ability of the team which would work on the project
- IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) issues in the use of Magento platform are addressed satisfactorily
- Convenience of geographical and time zone proximity
It is always advisable to assess previous work offerings by the prospective Magento developer to get a first-hand experience of her/his design and related capabilities. Most companies showcase their successfully completed works on their website, along with client testimonials.
THE MAKING OF A SUCCESSFUL WEB DESIGNER
A web designer creates and organizes the pages that comprise a website. It is the responsibility of the web designer to ensure that the website is designed in such a way that it looks presentable and meets the functionalities for which it is designed. To this end, an effective web designer ensures that all the offerings are properly show-cased and combines this with effortlessness of navigation and check-out.
Web designers need to be proficient both in web design languages, design skills and marketing. Experience in web designing internship programs and small consulting projects is an added advantage, which help the designer appreciate the finer nuances of website design and the complications that may arise during the course of design. Value-adds in this field can be additional certification courses or hands-on experience in Object-Oriented design or Java programming.
The first thing any client looks for when appointing a web designer is the portfolio of the prospect. Hence, it is imperative for web designers to solicit clients after they have built a collection which they can showcase. Here, it is better if the designer’s portfolio is arranged in reverse chronological order (latest project first) when being submitted to a prospective client.
The above tips are only a starting point to becoming a successful web designer. Performance and consistent performance alone ensures sustainability and success in the marketplace. The true performers need look no further for clients, since their work would speak for itself and recommend them.
OUTLINE – The First Step In a Graphic Design Project
The first step towards commencing a graphic design project is planning the outline of the project. An outline provides you and your client with the basic composition to discuss and proceed with the subsequent parts of the project. A successful project outline should be unambiguous, concise and simple. It is essential that the client’s requirements and your offering are written down at the outset.
Components of a typical graphic design project outline: The following are self-explanatory:
- Website design
- Business cards and posters
- Book design
- Package design
Advantages of preparing an outline:
- It is a referral point to determine the scope of the project and ensures that the graphic design modules do not go out-of-scope, either on the client’s demands or a misinterpretation on the part of the designer.
- It helps the graphic designer to adhere to timelines and avoid project time overruns.
- It can be made a part of either the pitch or a part of the final contract, so as to avoid potential areas of conflict between the client and the graphic designer.
- It helps determine the tentative cost of the project before-hand, thus giving ample opportunity to the client to budget and organize the required resources.
COSTING IN GRAPHIC DESIGN
It is imperative for graphic designers to gather the entire gamut of relevant information about their client and to have a clear and concise understanding of the client’s requirements before commencing their work. In order to propose the costing to the client, graphic designers need to clarify the following aspects:
1. The target audience: The extent and cost of the graphic design may vary depending on the age, gender, geographical location and other factors of the target audience.
2. The message: Again, the graphic design is dependent on the message the client wishes to convey – a new product or service launch would require a totally different webpage design, compared to regular sales pitches.
3. Project specifications: These include the number of pages, dimensions, amount of common content, etc. These have a direct bearing on the cost of design.
It is always helpful if one can ask the client and obtain an estimated budget from her/him before commencing to finalize the scope, design and cost of the project.
CONVERTING VISITORS TO CUSTOMERS
The success of a website depends on ease of use. In the case of Ecommerce web design, since the main objective of an E-Commerce website is to convert a potential customer into an actual one, it is essential that navigation to and within the site is made as simple as possible, to enable the visitor to explore the site thoroughly, so that (s)he may find something worthwhile.
Following are some of the useful tips for E-Commerce web designers to make their sites more user-friendly:
- 1. Orderly layout
Visitors normally do not spend much time on any website unless they find something useful on it. Hence, your Ecommerce web design should be such that a glance makes the content perfectly clear to the visitor. Placing too many options in the layout would only add to visitors’ confusion.
- Ease of navigation
In case the website offers a large number of products or services, the ECommerce web designer should ensure that these are divided into categories and then clubbed, to make it easy for your visitors to browse products.
- 3. Simplifying the check-out
The check-out process is the most important in any E-Commerce web design. This is the place where the actual sale goes through. The check-out process should be kept as uncomplicated and trouble-free as possible. This helps complete the shopping experience satisfactorily and effectively.
The website includes techniques such as jQuery banners, custom Magento modules and creative Graphic Design.
As with every launch we are happy with the final product and wish the site every success in its online Ecommerce journey.
PUT LESS TO GET MORE
Precision, Conciseness, Accuracy, Focus – these are the key deliverables which need to be focused upon in any Ecommerce Web Design. Be very precise about what it is that the E-Commerce website purports to promote and sell. The product or service offering needs to be meticulously defined to give the prospective customer a clear-cut view of the offering at first glance.
In an age in which innumerable E-Commerce websites are clamoring for attention, brevity is at a premium to retain the visitor’s interest. The entire proposition, along with the advantages offered, should be clear at a first glance. Today’s world does not leave much time with the visitor to go through a large, and often unrelated, content.
Accuracy is a must for long-term relationships and repeat visits. The basic law of marketing – the cost of retaining an existing customer is one-tenth compared to attracting a new customer – holds especially true in designing an E-Commerce website. The product/service should match the expectations created in the customer’s minds by the website.
Lastly, it is essential for the E-Commerce web designer to retain focus on a single product/service offering. One should not let multiple offerings to dilute the content of the website. In case the E-Commerce web designer wishes to showcase multiple products, the same should be carried out on different pages, rather than club them and clutter them on one page. Lack of focus often leads to visitors moving away from the web page, leading to loss of potential revenue.
ESSENTIALS OF ECOMMERCE WEB DESIGN
E-commerce web design aims at not just display of the products and services, it also looks at online sales of these. Towards this end, there are certain additional features which need to be kept in mind in E-commerce web design. A few of the essential features which must be provided in every E-commerce web design are:
All the products to be sold should be displayed online. This would allow visitors to have a look at the offering and make a buying decision. Efficient E-commerce web design takes care that the product catalog is designed to provide easy access and browsing facilities to the visitors. Images of the products should accompany precise product description.
E-commerce web designers should ensure that customers have an avenue to store their favored online choices for future referral, in an organized fashion. This helps them in their purchasing decisions at a later time. The E-commerce web designer can choose an appropriate option from the varied range of cart systems available.
Online Payment Choices
The buying decision can generate revenues online only if a range of payment options are offered to the customer. E-commerce web designers should take care to set up an online payment system which accepts almost all the frequently-used payment modes.
SKILLS NEEDED BY AN EFFECTIVE GRAPHICS DESIGNER
Graphic designers need out-standing creative talent and ability to understand the client’s needs in order to become successful. The good news is that these skills can be developed over time and through practice. The following are some of the points that need to be kept in mind by any graphic designer on his path to success:
- Project Management skills – A graphic designer needs this to organize different design elements in a meaningful fashion.
- Creativity – Creative thinking differentiates the truly great from the ordinary.
- Calligraphy – Graphic designers often work with unfamiliar font families, lines, lengths, etc. A successful graphic designer needs to be able to visualize their effect on the website.
- Networking – This involves building a network of individuals with interest in designing to be able to call upon them for support and guidance.
- Communication – This is the single most important skill required by a successful graphics designer. An effective graphics designer should be able to communicate freely with his/her clients, so that (s)he can visualize their requirements and help them visualize his/her creation
After months of hard work, planning, illustrating and programming the www.rubyprom.com website is now live.
This is one of our most proud launches for Ecommerce Web Design, this site incorporates so many features, built on the Magento platform this website takes on a complex unique design that everyone in our studio has played some part in.
Our creative designer Neil originally come up with the initial layout and design based on the clients brief requirements, Neil created the Ruby character logo as an illustration and followed the scrap book / notice board feel that the client requested for the look and feel of the website.
The site design is based around the style of a notice board in a teenage girls bedroom, this website was certainly a tough project for our Magento Developer and alot of custom modules had to be created.
This Project included.
- Custom Illustration and Graphic Design Work
- High end Magento Programming
- Creative Graphic Design
- Design of all branding
- Design of Brochures, Dress Tags and much more.
- 2 Magento websites (Wholesale and Retail)
We are very pleased with the final result and very happy that all at Ruby prom are extremely proud of their new website, everyone involved including our Creative Designer Neil for his exceptional design work and illustrations, our Web Developer Ryan for sorting all the final alterations and working with the client for 3 days to get all things in place, the MD Jamie for working none stop managing the project and assisting with programming plus our Lead Magento Programmer Vinod for his dedication, time and effort put into this project.
Here are some images from the project, a full portfolio page will be added to our website soon featuring all the design work carried out for Ruby productions: